Jesu, the very thought of thee
- Tune: St Agnes (Dykes)
- Meter: CM
- Style: Traditional English
- Composer: John Bacchus Dykes (1823 - 1876) - arranger: Richard Mark Stephen Irwin (b. 1955)
- Lyricist: Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091 - 1153)
- Translator: Edward Caswall (1814 - 1878)
- Church Year: General
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performancse Copyright © 2009 - 2012 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.
You can download the free MP3 recording of Jesu, the very thought of thee for use in Worship by clicking on the Download arrow next to the recording(s), this can then be burned to a CD or used from a computer, in an MP3 player or IPod & etc..
Hymn - Jesu, the very thought of thee - Free MP3 Downloads
Tune Saint_Agnes_(Dykes) - for Organ
Tune Saint_Agnes_(Dykes) - for Small Orchestra
Hymn - Jesu, the very thought of thee - Lyrics
Jesu, the very thought of Thee
With sweetness fills the breast;
But sweeter far Thy Face to see,
And in Thy presence rest.
No voice can sing, no heart can frame,
Nor can the memory find,
A sweeter sound than Jesu’s Name,
The Saviour of mankind.
O hope of every contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
To those who ask how kind Thou art,
How good to those who seek!
But what to those who find? Ah! this
Nor tongue nor pen can show;
The love of Jesus, what it is
None but His loved ones know.
Jesu, our only joy be Thou,
As Thou our prize wilt be:
In Thee be all our glory now,
And through eternity.