As with gladness men of old
- Tune: Dix
- Meter: 77 77 77
- Style: Victorian Carol Style: Carol
- Church Year: Christmas / Church Year: Epiphany
- Composer: Conrad Kocher (1786 - 1872) adapted by arranger: William Henry Monk (1823 - 1889).
- Lyricist: William Chatterton Dix (1837 - 1898)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright © 2008 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.
You can download the free MP3 recording of As with gladness men of old for use in Worship by clicking on the Download arrow next to the recording(s) below.
Carol - As with gladness men of old - Free MP3 Downloads
As with gladness men of old Lyrics
1. As with gladness men of old
Did the guiding star behold;
As with joy they hailed its light,
Leading onward, beaming bright,
So, most gracious Lord, may we
Evermore be led by Thee!
2. As with joyful steps they sped,
Saviour, to Thy lowly bed,
There to bend the knee before
Thee whom heaven and earth adore,
So may we with willing feet
Ever seek Thy mercy-seat!
3. As they offered gifts most rare
At Thy cradle, rude and bare,
So may we with holy joy,
Pure and free from sin's alloy,
All our costliest treasures bring,
Christ, to Thee, our heavenly King!
4. Holy Jesus, every day
Keep us in the narrow way;
And when earthly things are past.
Bring our ransomed souls at last
Where they need no star to guide,
Where no clouds Thy glory hide.
5. In the heavenly country bright
Need they no created light;
Thou its Light, its Joy, its Crown,
Thou its Sun which goes not down.
There forever may we sing
Alleluias to our King!